Friday 13 November 2015

The week in Gainford

Preparations are in progress for a journey south for the weekend, but not before band and choir practice for me and a meeting Kathy has to help a friend with an employment issue. Her NHS mangement experience is coming in useful.

Last Saturday was Gainford's annual bonfire and firewords display.The Green was packed and the display was the best yet. We had been invited to a post bonfire party at a neighbour's home. It included the 'Great Gainford Bake-off' where the men bake 12 biscuits and the women judged them. My macaroons looked good but were chewy and I expected to receive the wooden spoon. In announcing the results our host took that honour and I have a strong suspicion that he was being gallant.

Remembrance Sunday was busy. Two morning services were followed by an afternnon showing the local community the new Village Hall kitchen. Treasurer's wife, Maire had prepared a lovely supper which we shared with friends, and at 10-00am se were ready for bed.

On Wednesday I went to fhe Annual Forum of The Heart of Teesdale Landscape Partnership. The background to this project is that it was established in 2010 following a successful  bid to The Heritage Lottery Fund. In 2011, a successful second bid enabled the Partnership to implement a number of projects which benefit the local Teesdale community. The projects are varied and include work on the river and its surrounds, forests, footpaths, ponds and the restoration of farm buildings. Also as part of the project was the installation of history display boards in Gainford church.

I am especially interested in 'Music at the Heart of Teesdale', run by Gegenforde member Neil Diment.The success of this project is focussed on the young folk band, the 'Cream Tees', who have delighted local audiences with their fiddle playing.

Last night  I joined other parishioners on a coach for the induction of Martin Jacques at Tynemouth. It was a splendid service followed by a  welcome buffet  and Martin and Louise looked very much at home The only thing I was disappointed with was that the Bishop substituted 'Receive this cure of souls which is yours and mine' with 'Receive this ministry....' I do think 'cure of souls' is a wonderful encapsulation of a priest's vocation.

The weather is looking threatening and our friends on Barra seem to be at the centre of the gales. I am hoping that our journey south we will not encounter them? I leave Sunday's services in the capable hands of the Archdeacon.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

35 years as a priest

On Sunday the 1st October I celebrated the 35th anniversary of my ordination as a priest. I also decided that was a good pointmot step do...