Tuesday 2 December 2014

What a spectacle!

Half way to Middlesborough  for an accordion lesson, I realised I had lost one of the lenses from my spectacles. You my well ask how it is possible to wear spectacles and not to be aware that 50% of them have disappeared. Do spectacles become a spectacle when only one lens is present?

Steve, a virtuoso on the instrument, loaned me a pair of cheap reading glasses which saw me through the lesson and the drive home. Steve (steveroxton.co.uk) makes playing the instrument look as easy as riding a bike, but he produces a sound which I shall never achieve. Not to worry, I enjoy the lesson and I am sure the time was well spent.

I have always enjoyed the sound of an accordion, from listening to Jimmy Shand on the wireless and latterly The Vatersay Boys on Spotify. Both produce a truly Scottish sound, but one being very distinct from the other. Jimmy Shand plays in measured and rhythmic style, whilst The Vatersay Boys are more vibrant, making good use of drums and bagpipes. I have yet to decide which direction to take; the first step is to get the notes and chords right.

A journey in the afternoon to the opticians was fruitless, the shop having closed for the day. Fortunately, I have a spare pair as well as the borrowed ones and was able to begin to plan a school carol service I am leading next week in Woodlands. A priority in the next day or so is to try and find this tiny community up the dale. We have lived in Teesdale  now for over 3 years and are still discovering places we had not realised existed. Maybe I should wait until my spectacle mutates to spectacles before I venture far.

A long Parish Council meeting occupied most of the evening. Amid the usual agenda items of dog fouling, the parish bonfire and church floodlighting, were a clutch of matters which created lively discussions. One was a plea from a resident whose wife has lost the used of her legs and whose mobility is dependent on an electric scooter. He bemoaned the lack of kirb drops in the village which made life difficult for them both. We agreed Durham County Council should treat this with urgency, despite their plea of a tiny budget for this facility across the county. They have admitted towns have priority. Good copy here for the Teesdale Mercury reporter who stoically sat recording the meeting for two hours.

Councillors cheered, metaphorically, when told we are now the legal owners of the 'island' which is the first sight visitors from the east on the A67 see of the village. We now have an opportunity to improve this walled green area.

A further plea came from the Gainford Football team who, it seems, are sending more balls into the River Tees than into the net. There was sympathy and a cheque to buy 10 balls.

It seemed rather appropriate to wind down watching a documentary about the magazine 'Tatler' which is essential reading for people who could not be any further from the Dales folk I have met today. It is all rather amusing but I am tempted to say also 'what a spectacle'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

35 years as a priest

On Sunday the 1st October I celebrated the 35th anniversary of my ordination as a priest. I also decided that was a good pointmot step do...